3:05pm – 4:40pm – Panel moderated by Marg Spoelstra with guests
Many Paths to Successful Living
Heidi Penning, MA
So, you think your loved one with autism is ready to move out, but inadequate housing options and long waiting lists make you want to throw up your hands and give up. Don’t despair! This session will provide you with strategies to navigate the current housing system with imagination, vision, and determination. The path to appropriate and independent living options begins with building your community.
You will learn
• How not to be afraid to ask for help: it really does take a village!
• The philosophical differences between a house and what makes a home
• About the benefits of using a person-centered planning approach
• How to define ‘A Life Worth Living’
• How not to be afraid to ask for what is a fundamental right
J. Dale Munro, MSW, RSW, FAAIDD
Psychotherapy: An Often Essential Transitioning Tool!
Teens & young adults often experience considerable distress as they transition into adult roles & responsibilities. Psychotherapy can provide these individuals the emotional support and coping strategies necessary for survival and psychological growth, when facing the change.
Creating (and Funding) a Purpose-Driven Life
We often forget that individuals on the spectrum want nothing more or less than individuals not on the spectrum – purpose, meaning, and a sense of belonging in their lives. Recognizing what it takes to provide a life that speaks to these needs can be easy, but implementing measures to get there can be hard, and costly. With the right tactics, the realization of better independent living is possible. I want to share my experience in getting part of the way there.
You will learn:
• how to think about a purpose-driven life;
• how to jump-start a sluggish system.
Doug McCreary – description coming soon
Sarah Drew Saucier – Transition and Success: Shifting from Digital Consumer to Digital Creator
Every1Games provides specialized programs supporting neurodivergent youth transitioning into life after high school. In this presentation, Founder and CEO Sarah Saucier will share keys to success in helping autistic youth meet their academic and career goals with confidence as they transition from digital consumer to digital creator.
You Will Learn:
- About issues surrounding what it means to be independent while receiving support
- How students can gain the confidence to succeed
- How to support creative careers based on passion and unique skills
Sarah Southey – description coming soon